Book Haul #1 - Charity Shop Edition

04:49 Unknown 0 Comments

Its time for my first book haul, yayyyy!

I took a trip into town a few days ago after uni to have a look for some new books since I had a long journey ahead of me, so what better company than a book, right? Now, seeing as I am a student, I dont have a lot of disposable income so I don't get to buy books as often as I would like to. During a late night twitter stalk (we all do them) I saw someone mention how they picked up a few books at goodwill, so i thought id try out the charity shops here. I can safely say they did not disappoint. All the books i picked up were on my amazon wish list, and in total cost be £7. These weren't all from the same charity shop, and ranged from 50p to £1.50. I was extremely excited to have these books in my ownership and also happy that my money, as little as it is, is going to some good organisations to help people and animals who really need it.

Now for a little about these books. I'll just say now that I havn't read any of these yet (as I'm writing this that is, i'll be taking some on my journey tonight), so I can't give a great detailed discription of what these books are about. I will however try my best to give you an insight into the stories so you can decide wether the book is for you or not.

Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey
Maud is trying to solve the seventy one year old mystery about where her friend Elizabeth has gone. This story is told from a very unreliable narrator, as Maud is unable to remember almost anything, and everyone else seems to have forgotten about Elizabeths disappearance.

I was so excited to find this book as i had just included it in my celebrating women authors wish list, click here to read that if you haven't already. Not only that but when I got home i discovered that it was a signed copy by Emma



One Day by David Nicholls
This story is told on the 15th July for twenty consecutive years following David and Emma, who met on their graduation night, as their friendship grows and each grows up.


Starter For Ten by David Nicholls
I also found another novel by David Nicholls in one of the charity shops that i visited. This story David has just arrived at university and strives to appear on TV's biggest general knowledge quiz. David falls for one of his team mates who does not feel the same about David and he does about her. In order to win her over, David decides that he has to win the quiz. 


The Husbands Secret by Liane Moriarty
Cecilia finds a letter written by her husband labeled "to be opened only in the event of my death", but curiosity gets the better of Cecilia and opens the letter. Inside her husband has confessed to a terrible mistake. Cecilia has to decide wether to keep quiet and protect her family, or to say and potential tear her family apart.


Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse
One day Hannah's husband fails to return home and in an attempt to find him she digs into his past and uncovers some terrifying secrets that he has kept from her.


Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
When Kate discovers that her daughter Amelia has killed herself so digs into her private life and discovers that she really didn't know who Amelia was. Kate also discovers that Amelia may not have killed herself but been killed.


The Dinner by Herman Koch
This books is a dutch novel translated into english and takes places over one evening. When two sets of parents get together after identifying their sons on CCTV committing a crime they have to decide how far they will go to protect them.


Have you read any of these books? Let me know your  thoughts in the comments
Thanks for reading
Lisa
x

0 comments: